Child Care in Manitoba

In Manitoba, the provincial government does not operate any licensed early learning and child care service directly. Licensed centres are run by boards of directors, and licensed child care homes are run by the licensed home provider(s).

The government provides annual operating grants to eligible, licensed, non-profit child care facilities and sets maximum fee limits for those facilities. If a facility receives a provincial operating grant, it is called a funded facility. Funded facilities must follow the Manitoba regulation that sets out the maximum fees that can be charged for the type of child care spaces being offered.  On the other hand, an unfunded facility  are those licensed facilities who chose NOT to receive a provincial operating grant.   These facilities can set its own fees.

The chart below shows the maximum amount a family can be charged, by a funded facility, for the type of space their child is in.


Note that this chart may be change due to  update that may be made in the Child Care Regulation, please visit to ensure that you are looking into the most updated information.

For more information regarding  funded or unfunded facilities  and to find out what fees a specific facility is allowed to charge, you can contact the  Child Care Information Services at 204-945-0776, toll free 1-888-213-4754 or email

The government provides subsidies for qualifying families to help pay for child care fees. The Child Care Subsidy Program provides provincial support to eligible families to help with the cost of care by reducing child care fees for children from the ages of 12 weeks to 12 years.

The family’s eligibility for this benefit program depends on various factors including:

  • your net household income
  • the number and age of your children
  • the number of days required for care
  • the reason for care (example:  you have a job, you’re seeking employment, you’re attending school/approved training program, your child has an additional support need, you have a medical need.)

To find out if you qualify for full or partial child care subsidy, you must submit a subsidy application.  Due to the range of factors that determine your eligibility, it is only possible to provide an estimate of the child care subsidy you may be eligible for, by using the Subsidy Eligibility Estimator. If you are found qualified for a child care subsidy, a subsidy advisor assigned to you will contact you by your preferred method of communication, that you have selected when you submitted your application.

There is a $2 non-subsidized fee for each child, per day, that all families must pay, including those who receive a full child care subsidy.  For example, if you receive a full subsidy and you have one child that attends a licensed early learning and child care facility five times a week, your child care fee will be $2 per day for one child x 20 days in a month for a total of $40 a month.

There are two options to apply for this program, you can apply online or you can directly contact  the Child Care Subsidy Program to get a paper application mailed to you.

Contact Information:
Address: 102 -114 Garry Street, Winnipeg MB R3C 1G1     Email:     Phone: 204-945-0286 (in Winnipeg)    Toll-free:1-877-587-6224    Fax: 204-948-2143

Sources: A Guide to Child Care in Manitoba,

Reminder:  This post is based on the information provided by the Government of Manitoba as published in it’s official website (  For complete and accurate information, it is still best to visit their website


Children’s Opti-Care Program

Families who receives Manitoba Child Benefit (MCB) are also eligible for the Children’s Opti-Care Program.  This program is intended for families who get MCB to help pay some of the cost for their children’s glasses.  The average Children’s Opti-Care Program benefit is about $84 per child, per year, children who have special vision needs may be eligible to receive more benefits.

Claims for this program can be made once every three years. If your child’s prescription changes or your child outgrows his or her frames, you may be able to claim more often.

To be eligible to receive benefits through this program, you must:

  • be a resident of Manitoba
  • have children under the age of 18 who live with you
  • get the Manitoba Child Benefit for the child who needs the glasses.

To apply for this benefit, you must complete the Children’s Opti-Care Claim form and send it along with the copy of the official receipt of the glasses to:

Manitoba Child Benefit – Children’s Opti-Care Program:  PO Box 3000 203 South Railway Street East, Killarney, MB R0K 1G0

Reminder: Claims made more than 14 months after the glasses were paid for will not be paid.

Source: Children’s Opti-Care Program,

Reminder:  This post is based on the information provided by the Government of Manitoba as published in it’s official website (  For complete and accurate information, it is still best to visit their website or to contact the office of the government concerned.

Manitoba Child Benefit

The Manitoba Child Benefit ( MCB) is an  income supplement offered to Manitoba residents who have dependent children under the age of 18 and whose family income is below certain level and  are receiving Canada Child Tax.

Low-income families may be eligible for up to $420 tax free each year for every child. For a single parent of three children working full or part time and earning $15,000 or less, this totals $1,260 with partial benefits for parents who earn $15,000 to $20,000.

The following table provides benefit levels and allowable income ranges for families with up to six children.


The income eligibility for MCB is based on total family income from the previous year. Total family income is based on the net family income reported on the current Canada Child Tax Benefit notice.

To be eligible to receive this benefit, you must be a resident of Manitoba and should meet the following:

  • you have dependent child/ren under the age of 18 who are in your care;
  • you are in receipt of Canada Child Tax benefits for dependent children;
  • your family income is below a specific level and is based on the previous year’s income;
  • you are not in  in receipt of Emplyment and Income Assistance unless you are ONLY receiving the health benefits portion of EIA;

You need to apply for the MCB, in order to receive your benefits. Applications may be can be submitted anytime. If you are eligible, benefits will be effective from the month in which your completed application is received. The benefit is paid at the end of each month through direct deposit.

To apply for MCB you must complete and mail in the a MCB application form.   Mail your application form to the Income Supplement Programs office at P.O. Box 3000 203, South Railway Street East, Killarney, Manitoba R0K 1G0

Other Contact Details:

Phone:  204-523-5230    Toll-free: 1-800-563-8793    E-mail:

You can also download Manitoba Child Benefit brochure for more information.

Source: Manitoba Child Benefit,

Reminder:  This post is based on the information provided by the Government of Manitoba as published in it’s official website (  For complete and accurate information, it is still best to visit their website or to contact the office of the government concerned.

5 Things That A Permanent Resident Should Remember

Here are some worthy information that you should remember about your permanent residence status in Canada.

Permanent residents are citizens of other countries and are given PR status by immigrating to Canada. He has the right to live, work or study anywhere in Canada and can get most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage. He has the right to protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and can apply for a Canadian citizenship once he has satisfied the qualification required. He is not allowed to vote or run for political office but is required to pay taxes and respect all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.

A Permanent Resident card is issued to a permanent resident as proof of his permanent residence status in Canada. The PR card is usually valid for five (5) years, however, expiration of permanent resident card does not mean that a person have also lost permanent resident status as this card can be renewed. PR card needs to be presented by a permanent resident of Canada every time he needs to re-enter the country on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, boat, train or bus. If a he happens to be outside Canada and lost his PR card, he can obtain a proof of status to return to Canada by securing a PR travel document (use Application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad to apply). Note that starting March 15, 2016, a PR resident of Canada, regardless if you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country or a citizen of a visa-required countries, you will need to travel with your Canadian PR card or PR travel documents and must present this card to re-enter to Canada.

A permanent resident must satisfy the residency requirements to maintain permanent resident status, he can live outside Canada, but must be physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days (2 years) in a five-year period. Living outside of Canada for longer period may cause a person to lose his permanent resident status.

There are other circumstances that a person may count days outside of Canada as days for which he satisfy the residency obligation: (1) by counting each day he accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person he accompanied is his spouse, common-law partner or parent, for child under 19 years of age (2) he is an employee of, or under contract to, a Canadian business or the public service of Canada or of a province or territory and as a term of his employment or contract, and he is assigned on a full-time basis or (3) by counting each day that he accompanied a permanent resident outside Canada provided that the person he accompanied is his spouse, common-law partner or parent (for child under 19 years of age) and the person you accompanied was employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province or territory during the period he accompanied him or her.

A permanent resident does not automatically lose his permanent resident status. One’s status cannot be lost by simply living outside of Canada long enough that he doesn’t meet the residency requirement, unless the person went through an official process wherein (1) an adjudicator determines that he is no longer a permanent resident following an inquiry or (2) a visa officer determines he does not meet the required residency when he apply for a permanent resident travel document. A person may also lose his permanent residency status by applying to voluntarily give up his permanent residence status.

This information may seem simple, but trust me it wouldn’t hurt to read and know these things, there are people I personally know who are unable to come back to Canada with their permanent resident status because they didn’t realize that they have a residency obligation in order for them to keep their status.



Understand Permanent Resident Status, Retrieved October 29, 2015

First Steps in Canada: Checklist for a Newcomer

You have now landed to Canada, what is next for you? Coming to a new country could really be a stressful process, though you may have friends or relatives that can provide you with an idea of what you can expect when you arrive to your “new home.” Hence, having a plan or knowing what to do on your first few days is a good start.

Here are a few things that we suggest a new immigrant should try to do on their first weeks in Canada:


Look for an immigrant settlement cetre in your community that will be a great help for you in settlement, finding a job or to get a language or skills training that you may need. We came out with a list of new immigrant resources for this purpose.


If you already have temporary accommodation after landing like your friends and relatives house it is still best that you also learn about the housing and start looking for longer-term rental or know how to buy a house or a condominium.  You can find information about renting an apartment, buying a house and more by visiting the CMHC section on Housing for New Comers


If you are a new permanent resident, you do not need to apply for a permanent resident card. A card will be automatically sent to the address that you have provided whe you applied for your permanent resident status to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada.  Ensure that you have provided your complete and correct address so you can be sure that you will receive your permanent residence (PR) card in the mail.  If you did not provide your Canadian mailing address when you became a permanent resident, you must send it using IRCC’s Online Tool within 180 days of immigrating. If you do not, your card will be destroyed and you must apply for a new one and pay the $50 processing fee.


Obtain a street map and telephone directory to help you get to know your place and how and where to search for establishments and services.


Learn about the available transportation options in your town or city, most Canadian cities have local bus service as a way of public transport. In Winnipeg, the public bus transportation system is called Winnipeg Transit, you can visit Winnipeg Transit for details of bus fare rates, route maps and schedule information. Taxi service is also available, there are are several taxi companies in Winnipeg, three of the well-known Taxi service companies  are Unicity, Duffy’s and Spring Taxi.


Learn how to make telephone calls and keep important numbers handy. In Canada, the most important number that you should memorize is the national emergency telephone number – 911. This number can be dialed free of charge from any telephone.


Enroll your children to school.  If you have kids, research about the school system in Canada and find out how will you be able to register your kids in a school. Going to school is a basic right of every child in Canada, children aged 5 to 16 must go to school. There are various ways to educate your children, you can enroll your kids to a public school, a private school or you can also home school them. For information about education services in Winnipeg visit Winnipeg School Division.


Open a bank account. Start a relationship with a financial institution like a bank as early as possible. Seeing a bank financial advisor is a good way of arranging your finances and your  first step in building a credit history.  Most banks in Canada, like BMO Bank of Montreal, TD Canada Trust and Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) has banking program to help newcomers with their financial needs in starting in Canada.


Get a mobile phone. It doesn’t matter whether you are getting a post-paid (monthly plan) or a pay-as-you-go type plan, as newbie, you need to be accessible. Having a mobile phone becomes more important once you start with your job-hunting or you start looking for your apartment, wherever you are, you will be accessible to potential employers as well as to landlords.


Look for your family health care provider. It is important that you also ensure that someone will look after your health conditions, which can either be a family doctor or a nurse practitioner. You can ask your friends or other people you know who can provide you with the names of their family doctor that you can come to. You can visit Winnipeg Regional Health Authority’s website to find out how you may be able to find your family’s health care provider.


Secure your important documents.   Among the important things that you should have are:

  1. Social Insurance Number (SIN).   The 9-digit number that you need to work in Canada and to avail the government services and benefits.  Applying for a SIN is one of the first things that you should do as soon as you arrive.  You can apply for your SIN at your nearest Service Canada point of service.  In applying for your SIN, you must provide a primary document to the agency, for immigrants (permanent residents) you can present either your  Permanent Resident Card (if already available);  Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil (attached to your passport) or Record of Landing.
  2. Manitoba Health Card. To avail the health benefits or medical care, you must be able to present this card to any health institution.  Manitoba Health issues a white paper card (with purple and red print)containing some of your and your family (spouse and children) personal information.  The card also contains another 9-digit life time identification number or PHIN (Personal Health Identification Number).  This card will not be automatically issued to immigrants even if you landed as permanent resident, one must register to Manitoba Health to be covered.
  3. Driver’s License.  If prior to moving to Canada you have held a Driver’s license, Autopac will determine the Class and Stage of licence you should hold in Manitoba.  You must present your drivers license to Manitoba Public Insurance

Apply for the following benefits for your family:

  1. Manitoba Child Benefit Program (if applicable).  This is an  income supplement offered to Manitoba residents who have dependent children under the age of 18 and whose family income is below certain level and  are receiving Canada Child Tax. A parent must submit an application to Manitoba Child Benefit to apply for this benefit.
  2. Canada Child Benefit (if applicable).   The Canada child benefit (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age.  The amount of CCB calculated according to the information provided on the Income Tax and Benefit Returns, payment is normally issued every 20th day of the month.  New immigrants should complete an application form to avail this benefit.  Details about Canada Child Benefit can be obtained at Canada Revenue Agency
  3. Child Care Subsidy (if applicable).  This program is applicable for low income families, in order to qualify for child day care subsidies, the parents must show a need for child care and family income must be below a certain amount.  Application for this subsidy should be forwarded to Child Care Subsidy Intake and Inquiry.

Enrol in the Entry Program.  Entry program is an orientation program especially designed for new immigrants.  It is a series of orientation classes that aims to inform immigrants about the way of life in Manitoba to help them adjust. This orientation discusses about law, employment, school system, health and getting around Manitoba.  Again, you must register in this program to ENTRY Program. You will be required to present your PR Card or landing papers and MB Health Card upon registration.

These are just some of the things that a new comer in Canada can start doing. Like every other immigrants, there are a number of things that you need to do in starting a new life in Canada, just always remember, if you are unsure of something always ask and do your own research. Good luck and welcome to Canada!

Neighbourhood Immigrant Settlement Centres in Winnipeg

In Winnipeg, there are also Neighbourhood Immigrant Settlement Centres that provide settlement information and orientation to newcomers, connect newcomers with programs and services, host special events for newcomers to meet their neighbours and promote public awareness about Immigrant issues.  These centres offer mentoship programs  that support, and offer orientation and guidance to all newcomers.

Photo credit to

Here  are the locations of  neighbourhood program centres that you can visit:

Elmwood  – Elmwood Community Resource Centre
Contact No.: 204-982-1720 ext 205
Address: 200 Levis Street, Winnipeg MB R2L 2C2

Inkster – NorWest Co-op Community Health
Contact No.: 204-793-3120
Address: 785 Keewatin Street, Winnipeg MB  R2X 3B9

St. James – Assiniboia – Jameswood Community School
Contact No.: 204-831-7405
Address: 1 Braintree Crescent, Winnipeg MB  R3J 1C7

West Central – West Central Women’s Resource Centre
Contact No.: 204-774-8975 ext 225 or ext 219
Address:  640 Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg MB  R3G 0A7

Fort Garry/Fort Richmond – Dalhousie School
Contact No.: 204-261-0163
Address: 262 Dalhousie Drive, Winnipeg MB  R3T 2Z1

River East/ Transcona – Bernie Wolfe Community School
Contact No.: 204-669-9412 ext 2968
Address: 95 Bournais Drive  R2C 3Z2

St. Vital – Rene Delurme Centre
Contact No.: 204-253-7944 ext 417; 204-292-8229
Address:  511 St. Anne’s Road, Winnipeg MB  R2M 3E5

Fort Rouge/River Heights/ Tuxedo – Tuxedo Family Resource Centre
Contact No.:  204-489-9141, 204-771-7475
Address: #1-225 Doncaster Street, Winnipeg MB  R3N 1X7

William Whyte – William Whyte Residents Association
Address: 295 Pritchard Avenue, Winnipeg MB  R2W 2J2


Winnipeg Filipino Beer Festival

14095792_10153649532756744_4266301227675065110_nWinnipeg Filipino Beer Festival is the first Filipino beer festival highlighting the Filipino culture of celebration. The event will also showcase Winnipeg’s Beer Brewers and the entertainment culture from the local Filipino talents of Winnipeg. 

Tickets are $10 each and includes 2 cups of your choice of beer (for 18 years old  and above). General admission ticket is $5 and kids are free. Tickets are available at Mama Nors’ Kitchen at 642 Leila, Everyline Designs at Garden City and PCCM, 737 Keewatin!

Submit your upcoming event HERE